Here’s a fun topic for all you kind folks seeking to support local veterans: Flag Day! National Flag Day is coming this June 14th.
Flags have huge symbolic importance for any military veteran, as we often refer to them as those who “defend the flag.” As we finish Memorial Day reflections, let’s recall why it’s important to commemorate the American flag and honor those who make sacrifices to defend what it symbolizes.
Fun Facts & Ways to Celebrate Flag Day
- The American flag has a ton of history behind it. You can really grow a greater affinity for our nation’s heritage by learning about Old Glory.
- Did you know our flag’s current format has only existed since 1960? The reason is obvious if you know what all those stars represent. There are nice and even 50 stars, which represent every state in the union. We didn’t achieve that total until the last state, Hawaii, obtained statehood in August of 1959. All 50 stars appeared on the newest American flag, unveiled on the 4th of July, 1960.
- The stripes on the flag are relevant as well. The seven red stripes and six white stripes signify the original 13 colonies.
- Neil Armstrong placed an American flag on the moon in 1969. There are now six of them flying proudly, following all six Apollo moon landings.
- The U.S. is the only country to physically erect a flag on the moon. Whereas China, Japan, India, and the former USSR did it with robots.
What are the best ways to celebrate Flag Day? As usual, we recommend using it as a means to love your fellow man, especially American veterans. You can do any number of things like:
- Go to a cemetery and decorate gravestones with American flags.
- Buy a new flag for a veteran.
- Learn how to fold an American flag properly (most don’t know how to do this).
- Organize a small Flag Day parade in Sarasota.
- Do you have culinary skills? Why not bake an American flag cake for a veteran?
At any rate, try to do something creative. Small gestures and acts of kindness may not seem like much, but they really do brighten people’s lives. Also, don’t forget to check out the many ways you can get involved with SRQ Vets any time of year.
SRQ Vets is an organization in Sarasota, FL, that works to enhance the dignity and lifestyle of former service members. We believe that it still means something to fight for the flag, and the great country it represents. It’s also our duty to love and cherish the folks who put their lives on the line to do that. So, have fun and commemorative Flag Day, and don’t forget to reach out to us by email or phone at 941-777-8387.