Memorial Day is just around the corner, bringing us another landmark holiday for commemorating the efforts and sacrifices of our veterans. While there’s no wrong way to celebrate Memorial Day, SRQ Vets would like to explore a few ways to provide the biggest impact on the lives of veterans, including those right here in Sarasota, Florida.
Beneficial Ways to Celebrate Memorial Day
- Send a Veteran a Thank You Letter or Postcard
- Believe it or not, people still enjoy receiving postcards and personalized well wishes, especially older veterans. This is a great way to connect with someone even if you don’t have as much time to visit (or are shy about it).
- You never know when this could lead to ongoing correspondence, too. We’ve seen many excellent friendships form that way. These are the kinds that would probably never happen otherwise.
- Visit a Cemetery and Place a Mini American Flag on a Headstone
- Whether we’re talking about an American veteran from WWII, the Iraq War, or even the Civil War, it’s always a great idea to visit a soldier’s gravesite and really gain a new perspective on what they did for the country. You can also adorn and honor their headstone with American flags if you’d like as well as pray for the repose of their departed soul.
- Visit a Veteran
- We saved the best one for last because you just can’t deny the powerful impact of human interaction. Unfortunately, due to various and complicated circumstances, many American veterans experience loneliness. It’s more important than ever to help folks deal with isolation, which is known to exacerbate a whole host of mental illnesses. Therefore, we highly encourage you to take the time to visit a veteran and say thank you in person this Memorial Day.
This is obviously not an exhaustive list of all the generous ways you can extend compassion toward a veteran on Memorial Day. There are plenty of ways to get involved with the efforts at SRQ Vets, and you can always cook a nice meal for a vet in your own family.
SRQ Vets is a non-profit organization in Sarasota, FL, that endeavors to serve and honor veterans, especially those who may suffer illness, joblessness, or loneliness. If you’d like to assist our efforts, feel free to reach out to us by calling 941-777-8387. Have a blessed Memorial Day.